An Comunn Gàidhealac

An Comunn Gàidhealach - Forums

sheet music

Total Posts: 4

Being relaticely new to solo singing I have found it difficult to obtain sheet music for solo singers on own choice pieces.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Currently I am looking for sheet music for “An cluinn thu mi, mo nighean donn”, I can get the words and translation but might have to end up writing the music out myself as I have done this year for the pieces I have chosen

Total Posts: 10

Hi George
Yes I have always had problems when submitting own choice sheet music and have needed the skills of some friends more musically accomplished than me to write the music for me. Only other solution if nothing is found in books is by asking Rena at An Comunn in Inverness if she could, if time permitted ,check through the back issues of the Mod Prescribed song books. I have checked mine from 2000 and couldn’t find it or in 1997 or 1995 but it may exist in other years. I would be surprised if it wasn’t a prescribed song in the past. This is a good question though as maybe through the website in the future, An Comunn could list all the songs that appear in any of their publications.I know it has been discussed in the past so hopefully it will happen soon. You could also try the Gaelic Books Shop in Partick. They have been very helpful. In the meantime I wish you luck getting the sheet music and all the best for the competition.
Le durachd
Iain

Total Posts: 4

Moran taing Iain, I think it would a good idea for An Comunn to use this facility of a website to assist and therefore encourage new competitors by at least listing previous song titles in their sections and where the music of them could be found/bought

Total Posts: 10

Hi Craig
I know that it costs money to get these music sheets made every year so I would think that with the current financial restraints that all organisations are experiencing that An Comunn would need to get some money back from selling that year’s prescribed music pieces however for previous year’s prescribed it would be a good idea for those sheets to be converted to some downloadable and displayable format like PDFs.I will ask the question to ACG if this is possible although I would think it depends on time and manpower availability but would be worth it if it could be done perhaps with a minimal charge.

Re- using laptops etc to display the music sheets not sure if that is preferable to the written sheets but if the option was available it is up to you the user how to use it.

Regards Bertie