An Comunn Gàidhealac

An Comunn Gàidhealach - Forums

Royal National Mod Choir Competitions

Total Posts: 10

Hi
Just wondered if there was any support from choirs throughout the country to a revamp of the competition groups eg to allow Rural choirs to compete with Lovat or Margrat Duncan choirs. I sometimes think it is a pity that some of the better rural choirs do not get the opportunity to compete with the Area choirs. From watching some of the Rural competitions throughout the years they are more than a match for the best Area choirs. The criteria for categorising Rural and Area choirs is a bit outdated anyway. Let’s have the best choirs competing against each other and limit the number of choirs in each competition to balance the 4 choral competitions.

Hi
Now that another great Mòd is over and congrats to all those involved in the Caithness Mòd is there anyone out there of the mind that the categories of choir competitions are a bit dated eg why can’t the best choirs whether so called rural or area ,compete with each other instead of being classified as only allowed to enter Rural or Area choir competitions. Similarly why can’t those other choirs who will find it hard to break into the top 4 or so choirs not get the opportunity to compete with choirs where they have a good chance of success. The days when choirs were made up of people who stayed in an area with less or more than 2000 people are long gone.
Regards Bertie

Hi Craig
I agree with you although getting time for a Rural only competition might be a problem. Kind of defeats the purpose of having different sections based on ability but I take your point about of % of choirs with Gaelic cards of some format.Maybe there could be bonus marks dependent on the number of various coloured cards in the choir who perform at the competition.
Regards Bertie